Friday, February 18, 2011

New home inspiration



House-hunting has been a difficult process for the hubby and I. First of all, it's our first house, and second of all, we're having a tough time balancing location and qualities we like for the house itself. In my mind, I picture an old farmhouse with a front porch, a stone fence, and a turret, with a couple of acres for some hens and goats...actually, that's not me being imaginative, that's me saying there's a house I've always loved (literally, since I was a kid) that is not for sale (and would probably be way too expensive anyway) and that I'll just have to salivate over for now...But in our area, almost all of the houses were built after 1990, with a couple of older neighborhoods that have some lovely split levels (*sarcasm). At this point in our lives, we just can't handle commuting 2 hours a day, so we're going to have to make do.

But wherever we end up, we'll be doing our best to give it some of that older, charismatic feel. Now, I previously have said I go for a lot of cloudy blues and grays, industrial stuff, mixed with the bright and glam Kelly Wearstler look...but lo and behold, I open up the most recent Architectural Digest and what do I see?



I mean, wow. The textures and shapes are what make it interesting, even though there's not a ton of color like I normally go for. It's low-key, monochromatic but with pops of colors and black/white contrast that make it really sing. Sing! That's a pun. Because it's Sheryl Crow's house. Get it?



I think the bathroom may be my faaaaaave part. I love bathrooms with tile from floor to ceiling. And I'm really into dramatically dark-colored bathrooms, ever since I saw this picture a couple of months ago (can't remember where I found it, sorry!).



In summary, industrial and quirky stuff, black and white contrast, and texture. Small pops of color. Ready!

Now if only we could find a house where we could USE these gorgeous ideas...

Ashley

No comments: