Monday, December 1, 2008

Smashing cranberries

Just to wrap up my last post, I did try the roasted sweet potatoes with butter, brown sugar and pecans...it was awesome. Try it.

Moving on. Thanksgiving has come and gone, and I was reminded how much I love having an excuse to buy copious amounts of food and make a feast...I had a herd of little girl cousins around that spent most of their time chasing my timid little dog Bear (the white one) around the house (Rufus, Bear's brother, wasn't as acquiescent to their awkward attempts at cuddling) and playing my mom's Wii, but my middle cousin Lizzie was really into helping cook. For some reason, she was into smashing cranberries...which was not necessary for any planned recipe, but since we didn't want to waste them, we made some cranberry muffins. (Full disclosure--it was really a cake recipe we used and just added cranberries, which may explain why they were extra delicious.) Cranberries just seem to improve upon most any holiday recipe. Or drink as it were--Lizzie's family is from Maine, and they brought some local Maine cranberry champagne to the party, which was good without adding too much sweetness to the champagne. Anyway, good holiday. I look forward to decorating the tree tonight...

No comments: