Thursday, November 20, 2008

Snow and turnips.


Did anyone see the brief snow flurry we had in Chapel Hill on Tuesday? I happened to be walking from Franklin Street to my lab at the time, so I actually got to watch it float in the breeze and land in Sam's (my boyfriend) hair. The snow didn't stick and it didn't last, but it was a glorious 5 minutes for me, and it really boosted my spirits on a day I happened to have a lot of work stress.

I'm one of those people that happen to find snow quite magical. After all, the Piedmont of North Carolina requires a bit of magic to have snow at all in the winter, much less in November. I know there are those of you who detest the cold and live in the South for precisely that reason, but for someone whose doctor tells her to wear long sleeves in the summer to protect her pasty white skin from the sun, the winter is a welcome respite. Somehow, I feel that I become a little more alive when I get to don a scarf and take a brisk walk on a chilly day. It's refreshing. Plus, in January I am moving to Cambodia for a year for work, and I find myself relishing the early start of winter more than the average allergic-to-cold Southerner.

As I jump enthusiastically into the winter season, I'm starting to cook winter-y as well. Anything roasted, stewed, or baked with cinnamon hold a nostalgic and Americana-style appeal for me...so I'm once again looking for new ways to deliciously manipulate the plethora of root vegetables and greens available at the farmers market. Last week, I roasted turnips and red potatoes with a little rosemary and olive oil, which turned out pretty tasty (plus I had the turnip greens to saute on the side, which added some extra vitamins to the meal). Tonight, baked sweet potato slices with brown sugar and pecans...I'll post a recipe if it turns out to be as tasty as I hope.

Okay, I have slowly realized that this is beginning to sound like an Oprah/Martha Stewart blog--I apologize, and will cut myself off. I guess I'm just in a warm and fuzzy mood this morning. Thanks for reading...

No comments: