Thursday, February 10, 2011

Saturday Browsing!


Last weekend my sissy (Stephanie) and I did a little browsing at the flea market and one of our favorite antique shops. (By the way, isn't my sister fabulous with her red beanie and plaid and stripes all mixed together?). We're both newlyweds on tight budgets, so we're always on the hunt for deals (because usually, that's the only way we can afford it). Sam (my husband) and I will be buying a house soon, so while I don't want to buy anything just yet (our apartment is already packed to the gills!), I'm trying to collect ideas for an overall design scheme.

I tend towards shades of gray and blue, with a Kelly Wearstler -meets-Restoration Hardware-meets-glam farmhouse vibe, but I'm also trying to go a little out of my comfort zone.

Inspiration #1:
This is the most incredible teacup and saucer. For whatever reason, I've always gravitated towards silver tones in the past, but lately I've realized gold and brass can be awesome. Does anyone else shy away from brass out of fear of being old-fashioned or stuffy looking? I dunno, but my eyes have been opened! And this teacup is the perfect example.

Inspiration #2:
Steph and I both loved these salt and pepper shakers (the holes on top are in the shape of an 'S' and 'P'). The color is awesome, and the retro, all-American vibe is just what both of us love. Of course, the question is, how to mesh the glam-ness of Inspiration #1 and the down-home retro of Inspiration #2?

Inspiration #3:
Hardware! This booth is always at the Raleigh Flea Market, and the guy has a great collection of stuff. The bin is full of iron hooks, placards, figurines, etc. that are just a lot of fun (and have the farmhouse-ish feel I like). And I love the display too.

At our next stop after the flea market, we went to Susanna's Antiques on Durant Rd in Raleigh. We didn't find much there, but there were some great vintage clothes.

This picture proves that even though Steph tries to pretend she's cooler than me, she's really not. :) And as a side note, did anyone see that 'Put A Bird On It' video?




Well, we saw this sign at Susanna's that made us think of this and laugh (yes, that is Steph 'flying' in the background). This bird thing in design can definitely get out of hand.



I'll put together an inspiration board at some point, so we can have a solid game plan for decor, but that'll have to wait till we've actually picked a house. Which is way harder than it seems, by the way! Arrrgh! Frustration. But also exciting. Anyway, we'll be posting more about this as we go along, plus some tips for home flower arrangements...

<3 Ashley

No comments: